Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, October 4, 2014

Yom Kippur, thoughts about atonement

Yom Kippur 2014 is observed on October 3-4. Known as the Jewish Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur falls on 10 Tishrei 5775 on the Hebrew calendar, which is from sundown on October 3 to nightfall on October 4.  The Day of Atonement is considered the most important day of the Jewish year, as evidenced by the synagogue attendance rate: More people go to temple on Yom Kippur than any other holiday.

Yom Kippur marks the end of the Days of Awe, a 10-day period of teshuvah (Jewish reflection, repentance and return) that begins with Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

During the Days of Awe, Jews seeks forgiveness from friends, family and co-workers, a process that begins with Tashlich, the symbolic casting off of sins that is traditionally observed on the afternoon of Rosh Hashanah by throwing bread into a body of water. On Yom Kippur, Jews attempt to mend their relationships with God. This is done, in part, by reciting the Vidui, a public confession of sins.
                                                                                                                                Huff Post Religion Page
________________________________________________________

I’ve often thought about atonement
the word has been hanging around my spiritual living room
since I was a child

I remember serious adults saying
“you must atone for your sins”
or “Jesus was murdered on the cross in atonement for your sins”

later in seminary
in a fit of piety a professor once said
“atonement is critical
and it begins with an awareness of our need for it”

but what has always echoed in my head has been the phrase
YOUR sin
YOUR failure
YOU

Which has in my head, and soul, and spirit
almost always ended manifesting in the phrase

YOU
ARE NOT ENOUGH

I have never had a problem with awareness of my need for
forgiveness and healing
I have never needed help seeing my own deficits

I remember once, a person who was haunted by night terrors
the victim of abuse he would wake in terror, having seen
in the depth of his soul sleep, a dark and looming silhouette outlined
in the doorway of his room
his abuser

I have never been abused
and yet there is a shadowy
figure who visits me and haunts me
I, myself, am the one who haunts my self

on this day of atonement I know
that I have done things is should not have done
I have not done things I should have done
I have, sometimes knowingly
and some times unknowingly
hurt other people

I have not been my best self
I have made the sacred grimace

and I have my mea culpas to offer
and I have my maxima mea culapas to share

but I also realize that in the spirit of atonement
I must learn to accept myself
forgive myself

and I must come to believe that the Sacred One to whom I turn
is easier on me than I am on myself
and is more than ready to offer me not just forgiveness
but acceptance
and love

No comments:

Post a Comment