Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, July 31, 2016

Anger

What is the real origin of my own anger? Is it the ego defending its territory, or is it something that has its source in the desire for the well-being of all? (73)”
                                           Jean-Yves Leloup, Compassion and Meditation:
                                           The Spiritual Dynamic between Buddhism and Christianity
_____________________________________________________________________

I find myself angry these days
Not a “happy place” to be sure

I don’t like it when I am angry
I don’t like myself when I am angry

the quick wit and sharp tongue
that was so handy growing up as a ‘late bloomer”
(and thus physically smaller than my peers)
is way too evident in these trying times

I find myself deleting a lot of my own comments lately
Ashamed that I ever wrote them

I find myself listening less and talking more
(a read feat for me)

and so I have begun to wonder
what is this all about?
where does it come from?

It could be that I am just trying to establish myself
Carving out space for my ego

or I could be defending my “perspective”
and trying to convince everyone that I am right
(and they are wrong)

I think there are elements of this
to be sure
in far too many things I write and say

but I think that it is more than that
I think at least part of it, I pray that part of it,
is an understanding  that there are just some things that must be said
and certain things that must be fought for, and against.

I hope that my anger, such as it is
Truly has, at times,
 “its source in the desire for the well-being of all”

that my offense is for the poor, the vulnerable
the oppressed,
the minimized

the problem is of course
knowing when it is ego, or fear

and when it is what
for the sake of anything better,
I will call “righteous anger”

God!
Help me to know the difference!
And teach me how to respond differently!


No comments:

Post a Comment