Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, July 18, 2016

It all comes down to where our heart is

“A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.”
                             Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust: First Part
________________________________________________

It really does matter
what is in there
deep down at the center of who we are

The Sacred is there
but sometimes squeezed into such a small space
we can barely find it

love too
and compassion

but also hate and fear

If I carry hate in my heart
I will see hate
I will see hateful Muslims
Hateful black people

If I carry avarice
It will see every situation and person
As something to be used for my benefit

It seems clear to me
that all to many of us are carrying
cancers in our souls

we see the results every day

I want to carry Sacred
So that I can see Sacred in everything
In the sky, the clouds, the sun, the rain

But more importantly
In everyone
If I can see each person as one who carries in themselves
Sacred Presence
Then I can see each person as one joined to me
Not on the surface (that is for sure)
But in that deep place that determines who we are

That person, black, white
male, female
young, old
rich, poor
Muslim Christian

Is just like me
Child of God
Child of God
Child of God
Child of God*

_______________________

*  This refrain came, I believe, originally from
    Nadia Bolz Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment