Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, May 10, 2020

a still point


We need a still point in this twirling world of images and feelings, especially in a time such as ours. If we are tethered at some center point, it is amazing how far out we can fly and not get lost. The True Self, "our name in heaven," is our participation in the great “I Am.” It is what Peter daringly calls the “ability to share the divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4). This True Self is characterized by contentment, an abiding low-level peace and happiness. Every now and then it even becomes pure joy. 

If there is no list of names in eternity, no confidence that we are known and chosen by God, we are burdened with making a name for ourselves every day. We must be self-made, every person out for themselves in a dog-eat-dog world, vying with one another for zero-sum dignity and importance. Instead of comparison, envy, competition, and scarcity, authentic spirituality is an experience of abundance and mutual flourishing.
                                                                        Richard Rohr

__________________________________________________

I need a still point in this twirling swirling world

there is just too much noise
too much pollution
too much shit in the air

this was a day
with tsunami hit
when waves of emotion
over lies and smallness, and arrogance
crashed over my soul

when I watch people I consider evil
and horrible flaw
smirk and pose
from their positions of power

and make decisions that violate
equity
and justice
and kindness
and love

when decisions were made
for the sake of power
and wealth

and just plain cruelty

and almost every facet of my faith system
was violated
often by people claiming that faith system as their own

I don’t even know what to call this feeling
It is not anger
It goes deeper than that

It is as if my soul is violated
My heart is shredded
My mind is betrayed

None of this makes sense
In the framework of a loving God
Of a kind, forgiving God

None of this makes sense
If one believes in a God who said

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.

Not if one believes in a God who abhors what is going on and said
But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

What does one do when the poster children of woe rule and flourish
And the poor get poor
The hungry have their SNAP payments cut
Those who mourn receive no compassion
And those who really do good are slandered, and blamed?

Here we are in Holy Week
On this Tuesday
Jesus said, if you believe you will receive whatever you ask for

Well Jesus
I ask for justice to be restored
I ask for graft end
I ask for kindness and compassion to rule
I ask for a leader who cares, and is honest, and capable

I’m waiting

And while I wait
Help me not to be sucked into the vortex of this evil
Pull me instead into the divine dance
Of Creator, Savior, Empowerer

Pull me in to the circle dance
The perichoresis
Of love

Be my still point,
Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment