Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, May 5, 2020


“I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”
                                                               Plato, The Republic
________________________________

Today I’ve got nothing
Because today my mind simply knows
Nothing

It understands, nothing
It can explain, nothing

And it has no answers

I watch a leader whose one job is to protect the people he leads
Protect himself, and maybe a few privileged others
and fumble the response to this crisis
time and time and time again

I watch Governors plead for the resources they need
and fail to receive those resources
for no reason other than spite

I read about scammers using the crisis and the stimulus
To rob sacred and vulnerable people of what they need to survive

I watch hoarders sell critical supplies
at outrageous prices

I watch people bicker and fight over the smallest things on facebook
And longtime friends become alienated

I watch governors refused to make the hard decisions necessary to protect
Their people.  Will they pay? Maybe, maybe not, but why take the chance?

I watch
I listen
I read
And I got nothing

I don’t understand it
I cannot wrap my head around such dysfunction
Deceit
Cruelty
Negligence
Hate
Exclusion
Greed

I cannot understand why so many have decided to listen to the meaner angels of their nature.

I cannot understand why some people can be this way
Do these things
Disregard others
Lie
Misinform
create death and damage

I cannot understand why others support them
Approve of them
Cheer for them

I cannot make sense of it all
And it hurts my soul
And makes my heart ache

And Yet
In the midst of it all there are signs of hope
Little things
Communities mobilizing to help each other
Companies paying wages for workers who can’t work
Governors making unpopular decisions because they are the right decisions

I see truth tellers (thank you Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, not so much)
I see kind souls shopping for others
I see people staying home
People supporting each other via the phone

The other day I saw a younger person give an older shopper
Standing in the middle of empty shelves
The toilet paper they had managed to grab…

There are those listening to the better angels of our nature (Lincoln)

And I have to believe
Those are the people connected, somehow, to the Sacred
Those are the branches clinging to the vine

As to those who talk God
And lie
Talk God,
and put others at risk for money
Talk God
And practice racism (Chinese Virus)
Talk God
And hoard
Talk God
And suggest it is OK for people to die for their 401k

I have no words
Just prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment