Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Sing Children Sing


To love someone is to learn the song in their heart
And to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
                                                   Arne Garborg
_______________________________________

In this time
when it feels like we are trudging down the road
to the apocalypse
when the very world seems to be dysfunctional

In this time when there is such division
It is easy to dredge up outrage

To find things that make your
Heart ache
And your soul burn

It is equally easy to become
Critical

To be a messenger of rebuke
To point out the lies
To challenge what we think (in our great brilliance)
is wrong.
To seek (with all humility) to help others back on the path of truth and righteousness

And yet, I wonder
What we accomplish with our witty remarks
And our clever repartee

Do we help, or hinder?
Do create change or entrenchment?
Do we show concern, or share disdain?

It has occurred to me
As I have engaged in verbal tirades and battles galore
That all these efforts to be an ‘influencer’ and to
move people into a new space

buy the use of coercion
by trying to overwhelm with words
even if those words contain facts, and hopefully
sometimes logic

do not work

because people are where they are for a reason
they, just like me, have been influenced
by parents, teachers, pastors
news outlets
pundits

they, like me have been shaped by life
by the culture they grew up in

and they like me
are complex

they are good and bad
wise and foolish
informed and mislead

When I look in the mirror
It is painfully clear that even though I am a Sacred Child
Even though I carry divine DNA
And the presence of the Sacred (the Spirit)

The divine image is dreadfully blurred in me
and that my greatest need
is to get in touch, once again, with my true self

I carry the song of compassion
And kindness,
And forgiveness
And generosity

I carry the song God gave me at my birth
And the song Christ awakens
In my heart

And my job is to find the notes one again
And sing that song

And from time to time
Someone comes along, who sings the song to me
Sings it with beauty and love and compassion

And helps me get back in touch with myself

So this day, as I walked in the rain,
and looked at the blurry outline of the mountains

It hit me
my role is not to tell people their song is wrong
or even off key
my job is not to overwhelm them with my song…

my role is to listen
to learn the song in the hearts of others
to hear that song of pain, and loss

to hear the song of fear and anger

to hear the song of hope, and love

and to help those around me
sing their song of love

to help them find it, if they have forgotten it
to sing it to them, if they have forgotten it
and to sing it with them
when they are tired, afraid, and alone

sing children
sing

No comments:

Post a Comment