Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, May 7, 2020

Heaven Forbid


And what of us mules who like the harness?
What would the workhorses in this world do without
some imaginary cause – or situation – we felt
needed to be championed, or scotch-taped/

Heaven forbid, everyone might become happy
doing basically nothing

except to lie around and get zonked out on the
wonder of our being
                                                   Hafiz (Daniel Ladinsky)
__________________________________

it is so quiet and somewhat still
out side new fallen snow covers everything
creating a white sameness

it is as if the world has snuggled down
under a comforter
for a well deserved rest

and I search valiantly to discover
what day of this week this might happen to be

I am not used to this disorientation
Nor am I used to all this
white space

nothing is urgent
a few telemedicine counseling sessions
but little more

it is disconcerting
for this human doing

I am tempted to find something to do
Something to fix (where’s that scotchtape?)
To fill this emptiness with sound and fury
(how about a good drama!)

But instead I sit
at least for a moment

“doing basically nothing

except to lie around and get zonked out on the
wonder of [my] being

and to make the effort
to let my soul catch up with my body
and my mind catch the thoughts as they fly

there is comfort here
there is discomfort here,
as I face things long avoided

and there is growth here

in this doing of so little

as in this quiet time
the God who makes all things new
comes in
and re-creates me
bringing me back from exile
into the circle of Sacred love





No comments:

Post a Comment