Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, July 26, 2014

Old Faith

The older I get the more deeply I believe,
but the less beliefs I have
                                                Bishop J S Spong

___________________________________

when I was young I knew it all
I was amazing, with my deep theological insights
and my keen grasp of the world

and then I got a little older
and a little wiser
and in wisdom I realized that I knew less than I thought I did

and now I am older still
and I look at the world in confused amazement

I don’t get why young men die in car wrecks
I don’t understand how, if the Sacred exists, young mothers can die of cancer
and leave 6 year old children behind (Rest  in  Peace Joy Lambert)

I can’t figure out why Israeli and Palestinian children have to die
or why religions that talk so much about love
aren’t loving

I don’t understand why people can talk so eloquently about life being sacred
and unborn children needing to be protected
and then turn around and cut services for children already born

the inability of America as a whole
to see its own sins
and clothe itself with blind patriotism
stuns me

there is so much
that confused and bewilders

I have reached the place where the Sacred is shrouded in mystery
rather than etched in certainty. 
I have reached the place where most answers seem inadequate
and black and white has turned to grey

and yet

there is power in the Presence
and belief grows

without at times
understanding
or
certainty

but it is now a faith that doesn’t need formulas
or talking points

it is a faith that is simply and deeply woven
into the fabric
of my story
and my life

and just
is

No comments:

Post a Comment