Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, July 12, 2014

what am I?

There is no conflict that does not entail
the single simple question, “what am I?”

every decision you make
stems from what you think you are,
and represents the value that you put upon yourself
                                                Gifts from a course in Miracles, Vaughan & Walsh
___________________________________________

It’s a good question
“what am I?”

am I a 63 year old male Caucasian?
am I a poet
a writer
a preacher
a counselor?

am I a collection of my successes
or the sum of my failures?

am I my education,
or my Mennonite heritage?

am I the physical being,
the flesh and bones
that now slowly ages into a
different shape than it once was?

am I my mind
or my soul?

am I a son
or father
brother or
friend

how I see myself
how I choose to define who I am
profoundly impacts

everything

if I think I am my failures
then I am guilt and remorse

if I think I am my weaknesses
then I am anxiety and fear

if I think I am my body
then I might well be depressed

but if I think I am what I really am
God’s child
one loved by God
complete in God

then I am peace
then I am joy
then I am love

and I am
utterly and completely
a child of God

and so
are
you

No comments:

Post a Comment