Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, September 12, 2015

Present to ourselves

Not until a person dissolves, can he or she know what union is.
                                                                                Rumi, The Soul of Rumi,  Trans. Barks, p.93
____________________________________________

Ah, ego
born out of fear
our protective crust
our false self

it seems so useful
so protective

it feel like that which gives us substance
and identity

I am
I am

and yet it is a cage
that lets little out
and little in

it traps the soul
and will not let
the winged bird fly

the ego threatened
even by God
becomes a tyrant
(“the ego hates losing, even to God” – Richard Rohr)

I am at my worst when ego dominates
the ego is suspicious, competitive, and stressed

it asks “am I liked” and “am I admired”
and keeps the focus on me

and so I fail to see, to hear, to be present with
the one who is next to me
and even fail to see, to hear, to be
present with myself

if I am to find love
acceptance
hope
if I am to find myself

ego must dissolve
for only then can I find behind the façade
the familiar and strange things that are
the eternal me

and can I find the familiar and strange
and wonderful things
that are the eternal you

No comments:

Post a Comment