Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, December 23, 2016

Discomfort

Are you comfortable? That’s good. But there is somewhere at least someone is uncomfortable! And this should somehow make you uncomfortable too! The world can be a better place only through this way, through thinking others!”
                                                          Mehmet Murat ildan

Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he said, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the law? What do you read there?” He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.”But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
                                                          Luke 10
___________________________________________________

We are all connected
We are all neighbors
Even if we life far apart

The Palestinian, behind the wall in Israel is my neighbor
The Syrian, struggling through the dust of destruction in Aleppo
Is my neighbor

The native American besieged,  oppressed
And brutalized by the forces of greed
At standing roc
Is my neighbor

The person living in poverty
In the deep south
Who hates people of color
Is my neighbor

The angry Black Lives Matter person
Is my neighbor

The person close to home
Who is poor
Addicted
Struggling with mental illness

That person who hates guns
And that person who thinks guns have got to go

They are all my neighbors

And having a neighbor in pain
Is not tolerable

Pain is pain
And if someone is in pain
I am called to embrace it
Breathe it in 
Hold it
Bless it

And if possible
Do something about it

Even if it is as simple as listening to someone I disagree with
Trying to respond with compassion to people who attack me
Helping buy a load of wood for Standing Rock
Spending that extra hour to calm down a client
Being an advocate for justice

Honestly
There is not much I can do
To relieve the ills of the world
But I can respond to what is in front of me

And so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment