Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Two Souls

Two souls, alas, are housed within my breast,
And each will wrestle for the mastery there.
               Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust

Faust complained about having two souls in his breast, but I harbor a whole crowd of them and they quarrel. It is like being in a republic.”
                                                                                       Otto von Bismarck

___________________________________________________

The heart of our nation is conflicted
My heart is conflicted to
I want to hope, I don’t have much hope right now
I want to be kind, but I feel the call to speak the truth (and find it hard to do that in love)
I want to be generous, and give Trump a chance
But I am horrified by the people he is choosing to surround himself with
And the things they believe and espouse
I want to keep all my friends
But some of the really upset me with their comments
And I upset them with some of my comments

I don’t want to be angry
I am
I don’t want to judge
I do

I want to represent Christ
And at one level I think I do (theologically, intellectually)
But in terms of my attitude?  My behaviors?  My words?
Not so much.

My “souls” are not wrestling
That are in an all-out war

God help me
Calm me
Forgive me
Soften me

I will not do it all perfectly
May I simply do the best I can
(hopefully in the power of the Holy Spirit)

May I do as little damage as possible
May I be forgiven for what damage I created
And may Sacred Presence
Bring healing into the midst of all the hurt
That we cause one another

In the end
As I have often said
We are all in this, together


No comments:

Post a Comment