Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, December 3, 2016

Talk to the heart

“Don't give in to your fears. If you do, you won't be able to talk to your heart.”
                                                          Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
_______________________________________

I suspect that America has long be a country of fear
I am not sure when it started
Maybe we have always been a little frightened of failure

That we would be the biggest, the most powerful, the best

The need to dominate seems to be woven into the fabric of our being

But this fear seems new
Somehow deeper, and uglier

Perhaps it started on 9/11
Perhaps it started when fear was feed and nourished
As we ramped up to war

Perhaps, for some it began when we elected a black President
Or when diversity, cultural, religious, and ethnic
Became more visible

I know, from talking with friends, that many felt great dread during the Obama years
Afraid that closely held values would be threatened
I know that many are afraid of people whose looks and beliefs are different from theirs

Now, with Trump, and his ascendency into power, other people are afraid
Muslims, Hispanics, the LGBTQI community
As they see people with long histories or racism and prejudice being placed into positions of power
(Bannon and Sessions are two examples)

And this fear, is deadly
We are seeing aggression. Hate. Bullying. We are seeing those who now have power showing many signs that they might abuse that power.

This has happened so often in the history of the world.  When the oppressed get power, they oppress
So now those who have NOT been listened to.  Whose fears and concerns were ignored by those in power, are ready for revenge.  They are ready to make all of “them” pay.

Fear breaks us apart as a society.  It divides us.
Because it makes it so that we can’t talk to our hearts
Its all “us” and “them”
And “we” have to do whatever we can to benefit ourselves, protect ourselves, enshrine our values and belief.

We are all wrapped up in the need to dominate, crush, protect
All wrapped up in what will benefit us

Them?

We don’t even see them
They are ciphers
Our hearts are in exile
And we so we can’t see
Can’t hear
Can’t connect

And evil ensues
Ah, what we do to each other!

I am one of those who is afraid
I am very afraid
Not for myself, because I happen to be White, Male, Christian, Educated,
And relatively comfortable economically

But I am afraid for us
Not us as in “us” “them”
But for “us” as in “We the people….”

I am afraid for those who have the power and may misuse it, for they will destroy what they seek to preserve
I am afraid for those who hate, for they are losing their humanity
I am afraid for the church, when it aligns with hate, for it bears false witness and uses God’s name in vain.
I am afraid for the vulnerable, who may well be abused and crushed

But it am trying not to live in my fear
I am trying to breathe in the pain
The pain of those oppressed
The pain of those rejoicing that now they get to have the power
The pain of the world, which is watching

And hope that the Sacred One in my
Can transform that pain
So I can breathe out, into the space around me

Peace

I am trying to talk to my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment