Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, December 18, 2016

Legacy

The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone,
but the things you do for others remain as your legacy.”
                                                           Kalu Ndukwe Kalu
_________________________________________________

The white stars shine
Against the darkness of the Christmas tree

Intricate and beautiful

Each one given to the church
In memory of a friend, now long gone

Seeing them I felt again a great loss
Even after all these years

Remembering
His laugh
His compassion

His presence

There is still a hole in my life
Created by his transition to what was next for him

It was not because he was rich (he wasn’t)
Or because he had it all together (in many ways he was a mess)
It was because he gave himself for others

In ways big and small
He listened, he got wood for widows
He mowed lawns
He encouraged people in recovery
He played the guitar infectiously

And so he is missed, not just by me
But by those who offered Christmas stars in his memory

I wonder about my own life.  Do I do what I do for others,
Or merely for myself?
What kind of legacy am I creating

I suspect I will be missed, but I also suspect
I do too much for myself

And this Christmas, as I look at these stars
Glittering on the tree
I will seek to be more a “person for others’

I would invite all of you to join me




No comments:

Post a Comment