Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, November 5, 2012

The curse of ingratitude

Why is it
we are so ungrateful?

I read a joke the other day
that was funny
in a painful kind of way

As the story grows a grandmother was watching her grandson playing on the beach
A huge wave came in and washed him out to sea.
The grandmother prayed to God.  "Please God, save my only grandson.  I beg of your,
bring him back."

Suddenly another huge wave came
and washed the child back to shore.

The grandmother looked to heaven and said....
"he had a hat!"

We do not have everything
Sometimes it feels like we barely have enough
But most of us have so many blessings!

And yet
and yet
what we notice
what we see,
is what we don't have!

I have
a meaningful job
a nice house
a great car
a beautiful place in which to live

And yet there are days when in my soul I am a major whiner
I am looking at the things I don't have
the things I want
I take the little things that aren't the way I want
and I make them everything

I let them define me
and shape my mood

Perhaps
before I judge those millionaires
and billionaires
and their inability to be satisfied
to realize they have enough
I should look at myself

and realize my own ingratitude
and accept the gifts that I have
the wonderful things I have been given

and live in gratitude
and in gratitude
find peace
and more
find generosity

1 comment:

  1. Philippians 2
    1. If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2. then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

    14.Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15.so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.

    ReplyDelete