Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Election and Faith

We are now, oh so close to election day.  Long lines stretch into the dark this weekend, as people take advantage of early voting options.  Many people are hoping for the best, and fearing the worst.


And many people are praying
I am powerfully aware of people I respect,
people who have a deep faith
who believe Mr. Romney would be "God's choice" for President


Catholic Bishops and priests
some ministers
are so sure that God would choose Romney
that they endorse him from the pulpit


They point to the abortion issue
and gay marriage
and a handful of other ethical issues
and take their stand
with absolute certainty they hold
Bibles aloft and declare
God would vote Republican


I have other friends 
people I respect,
people who have a deep faith,
who believe Obama would be "God's choice" for President
they point to the many passages in the bible about taking care of the poor
and providing for the "strangers" in our midst
they talk about not judging, and compassion
and feel the policies of the Democrats better match the Biblical mandate


I have to admit, I tend to like those better who seem to want to take care of the poor
and are for generosity and compassion

But......
I have been thinking about certainty
One of the things I have learned about God
is that God is too big
too complex
for me to understand


this is the mystery the Bible talks about
that unknowable side of God
that so often surprises, even shocks us


I can be certain there is a God
I can be certain that God is love
I can be certain that God is all about grace
When it comes to God I can be certain of many things


But when I 
or any one presumes to know fully
religious arrogance ensues
as does rigidity
judgmentalism
hate
and yes, violence


we cannot for a moment presume we know everything, or even most things about God
we can only know some things
those things revealed and inadequately expressed in story and metaphor
and more adequately expressed in  Jesus

we must be honest
and understand that we are stuck between knowing and unknowing

Richard Rohr talks about us having to accept both the mountaintop, the place of certainty, and the desert, the place of wandering. 

“The mountain is about presence, the desert about absence”
“The mountain is about speaking, the desert about silence”
“The mountain is about knowing, the desert about not knowing.”

unless we understand this 
our certitude about what God wants, about our being on "God's side 
will lead to us to use God 
yes, use God

to justify violence, hatred, prejudice and "our" way of doing things

we must live in the middle
between certainty and uncertainty, knowing and un-knowing
and in that middle way, go deep, into our deepest self
through prayer and meditation

and there in that deep place
listen, and receive, and draw forth deeper truths and meanings
and in that place,
find humility

God is not a Republican
Nor is God a Democrat

God is the one we know
at the depths of our being
and the one we can never totally know

God is the One revealed in Jesus
who told us to take care of the strangers
feed the poor
clothe the naked
protect the weak

I might be certain I know what that means about how I should vote
but in humility and uncertainty
I cannot speak for God

as one who lives between knowing and unknowing
I can only pray
and in humility and with uncertainty, vote according to what seem to me
to be the teachings of God
and the prompting of the Spirit

I can only pray
and in humility and uncertainty
treat with respect those whose faith takes them to a different place

I can only pray
and in humility and uncertainty
try not to move into arrogance or anger
try not to name call or belittle
try not to "use God" to justify my own way of thinking

but instead let God be God
and speak for Him/Herself  (I don't have that figured out either, but using both seems safer)

and in humility and uncertainty
hope we listen
and hear
and vote accordingly

Which way should that be?
I'm certain
but then again
I'm not

Blessings my friends
Go with your Biblical conscience
But Vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment