Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, November 2, 2012

The Suffering Formula

Christopher Germer
in his book on self compassion says that suffering equals the gap between what we have, and what we want.

I thought a lot about that today
I work with a lot of hurting people and I know have to agree
much of the pain I see comes from expectations that are, to put it mildly, unrealistic

I expect people to like me
I expect my mother, who has never been nurturing, to nurture me
I expect to be well of
I expect that my wife (or husband) will always treat me with respect

I am disappointed in life
it is not what I expected!

And I have to admit
it all becomes even more powerful when I look at myself.

I want to be a certain type of leader
i want to be a certain kind of boss
I want to be loved
I want 
I want 
I want

As long as I hang on to my expectations
my ideas about how things should be
even my ideas about God, and how God works

As long as I am attached to
my things
my dreams
my wants

I am usually miserable
discontent

Lord help me let go
of my wants, 
my desires
my expectations

and gratefully accept
moment by moment
the gifts that come my way

No comments:

Post a Comment