Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, March 17, 2014

Lent 11 - New Hearts

As long as I keep running about asking: "Do you love me? Do you really love me?" I give all power to the voices of the world and put myself in bondage because the world is filled with "ifs." The world says: "Yes, I love you if you are good-looking, intelligent, and wealthy. I love you if you have a good education, a good job, and good connections. I love you if you produce much, sell much, and buy much." There are endless "ifs" hidden in the world's love. These "ifs" enslave me, since it is impossible to respond adequately to all of them. The world's love is and always will be conditional. As long as I keep looking for my true self in the world of conditional love, I will remain "hooked" to the world-trying, failing, and trying again. It is a world that fosters addictions because what it offers cannot satisfy the deepest craving of my heart.”
Henri J.M. Nouwen
_____________________________________________________________

Patiently
the winter sun
pushes into the stubborn steel gray sky of winter

rising it casts its light
weakly on to a cold world
which cannot seem
to welcome its warmth

each day is the same
the sun rises and rises and rises again
persistent
until at last
what was frozen and barren
softens
and life again springs forth

patiently
the Beloved
rises and rises and rises again
shining love upon our frozen hearts
never minding that we do not seem
to welcome the warmth
of unconditional and sacred affection

persistent
until at last what was hard and fearful
softens and opens
its deepest cravings touched

hearts
made new

No comments:

Post a Comment