Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, February 12, 2016

Holding on, letting go


“There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this.”
― Terry Pratchett
___________________________________________

there are times not to let go
times to hang one with all one’s might

hang on my friends
to hope
to compassion
to generosity
to love

but there are also times to let go

I have been having to let go of a lot lately

I have had to let go of being young
(one look in the mirror suffices)

Let go of the myth that I can work as long and hard as I used to
Let go of the idea that I am the young mind with the bright ideas
Let go of my need to be in charge
Or the center of attention

Let go of the idea that one can “go home” and still be as close to
old high school friends (who are now so different from you) the way you were

one has to let go of the idea of happy endings
while holding on to the idea that many endings may well be happier than you think they will be

I am not a pessimist
I think what I have discovered is that in order to hang on to the things that count
I have to let go of many things
That really
Don’t

No comments:

Post a Comment