Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, February 4, 2016

Time to shine

Darkness is an invitation to all of us to turn on the light
                             Laura Berman Fortgang the Little Book of Meaning
_________________________________________________

It is midnight, and its dark
When I wake up in the morning
It will still be dark

In the bleakness of winter
I leave home in the dark
And I arrive back at home

In the dark

Sometimes I feel like I spend most of my life
“in the dark”
so to speak

but electricity is wonderful
I flip a switch
and presto, light

cool!

too bad it doesn’t work that way
with the darkness of the soul
that darkness that comes
when hateful people
spew their fear and bigotry

when the greedy win
and liars flourish

too bad it does not work that way
when my soul is tired,
tired,

and I feel hopeless and helpless

I want a switch I can flip
To make it all OK!

Click!
Failure, gone
Fear, gone

It does not of course
Work that way

And yet

I do not have to sit in the darkness
I can indeed
turn on the light

I can choose
to listen not talk
I can choose
to be kind and compassionate
not hateful and abusive

I can choose generosity over greed
and acceptance over exclusion

I can choose hope over despair

in me the light can flicker
strengthened by each choice
fueled by Sacred Presence

and there is light in you too

and if enough of us, united
faintly flicker

there is indeed
light in the darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment