Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, February 9, 2016

There is a quiet place

“Whatever gets you through the night”
― John Lennon
__________________________________

night is not my friend these days
no “lay me down to sleep” refrains here

just an amazingly tired body
trying to sleep
but waking up
hour upon the hour
screaming

a mind frustrated and angry
impatient
(I never was a patient patient)

no escape from the silliness
or ugliness
of the day,
with its polarization

with all the free floating anger
hovering around,
and the “to do lists” that will never end

with the vain attempts to teach, and listen, and heal
while the Cliven Bundy’s of the world rake up
resentment, for their own nefarious purposes

one wants a place to go
where one can breathe
and pain is (at the very least) controlled
and people use their brains for the purpose
for which they were created

where anger and fear do not rule
not even my own
a place of quiet rest
in world where, for the moment, there is no rest

yes!
it does exist

at some level it is there
in the moment
in my soul
at the interface of human
and sacred
at the end of a breath

but there are days when way is narrow
and the gate is small

expand my soul O God!
fill me with love anew
 “that I may love what thou dost love,
and do what thou wouldst do.” (traditional hymn)

No comments:

Post a Comment