Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, August 11, 2013

Communion

 
Dear Lord
today we will celebrate communion
 
communion is quite a word Lord
 it is tied 
to so many otheres
communication
community
commune
common
 
I remember
oh so many years ago
being prepared for my first communion
I had to take classes
I had to be old enough
I had to prove
I deserved to be at the table

Is that what you had in mind Lord?
really?

we seem to have made communion
a meal of exclusion
come to the table
if you are ready
come to the table 
if you are worthy
come to the table 
if you are "in"
come to the table

but only if 'we' say you can!!!!!

I seem to remember a story God
about a man who gave a banquet
oddly
the people who were invited 
were too self important to show up
too busy
with other things

so the giver of the feast
threw open the doors
and said
come on in
everyone 
every one 
come
the table is set

who is at the table Lord?
who is missing?
whom have we excluded

this day
as we celebrate communion
may
all the chairs
be filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment