Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The God I Know

Interesting the classroom where God says
"Forget all you think you know about me"
That is some way knowledge might dawn"
                                                  Hafiz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often think I know a lot about God
 after all I have a degree in theology
actually two

are you impressed?

I have studied God up one side
and down the other
assuming God has sides of course
And I have formed my opinions
And it is amazing how I have shaped God
For yes, in my humanness I fear I have shaped God 
more than accepted God
as God is

What I wonder is why the God I think I know
appears to be so different from the God
others seem to "know"

I don't think my God 
would vote the way their God would vote
Or see a person on welfare the same way
or a young girl, frightened and pregnant

And yet, who is right?
The Bible says Jesus
God with us
God most concrete and visible
is the same
"yesterday, today and forever"

Frankly that doesn't help me much
As Jesus, in his ministry on earth 
was full of surprises.... 
and usually spent most of his time blowing apart
the image of God the people had so carefully constructed

So I will have to go with what little I know
that is clearly not much
I will have to go with the God
who comes to me
in the middle of the night
in the presence of death
when I am all alone
when I am afraid

And in those moments when I am emptied out
becomes known
as love

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that one! There is so much there with which I identify...and so I can say: man, I am SO glad you used it today...up-cycling! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know enough to use any except anonymous...could you add a FB link? Thanks. Laura Robinson Morris

    ReplyDelete